Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Selling clothes to Plato's Closet

With a bag of old clothes (that I never wear, are no longer my style or just don't fit anymore) and a need for a little money to hold me off until I hear back about job offers, I set off for Plato' Closet for the first time yesterday. The process is really simple: take your old clothes in a bag or box (NOT hangers), fill out a new seller form, and drop off your bag at the selling counter. There your clothes will be evaluated on style, condition, and the store's need and you'll receive an offer for the pieces they'll take. Plato's Closet is not a consignment shop, but pays cash on the spot instead. Other consignment stores price your pieces (dropping the price after a given amount of time) and pay you once someone buys them.

source

I've read complaints about people not getting what they thought their clothes were worth, but I was actually quite happy with the amount they offered for just 6 or 7 pieces of clothing. To get the most out of selling your clothes, I'll share my tips and the Pros and Cons I found for selling to Plato's Closet ('cause I make lists like that).

PROS:
money on the spot
they evaluate your clothes while you're waiting
"trade in" policy - If you pick out something to buy while you're selling something back, they'll take that price off your offer tax free!
you can make a pretty good amount of money for just a bag-full of clothes
the store is awesome. Super inexpensive, tons of selection and really well organized. (The Louisville store, anyway)

CONS:
you may not get a high offer on designer clothes
they might not take all of the clothes you have to sell
I went on a fairly busy day and had to wait a while for my offer. If you just want to sell-not shop-or might be tempted to spend your whole offer, wait somewhere nearby instead of in the store where you might find something you don't need but just have to have :)

source

MY ADVICE:
It seems to me like most PCs are looking for common (more inexpensive)brands like Forever 21, Charlotte Russe, Candie's, etc. You probably won't get a huge offer for designer clothes or other high end names because they can't sell them for very much. Their website does say that big name denim is in high demand, but I can't vouch for how much they offer.
The stores are looking for trendy or current styles. So don't expect to sell trendy clothes after you've stopped wearing them or PC won't want them either. I suggest taking in timeless or classic pieces (I sold denim shorts, fitted short- and long-sleeved tees, a shirt dress, etc).
When I asked about seasonal clothing, the salespeople said they accept clothes for all year-round. Just don't wait until something goes out of style to sell it.
A few easy recons could help make trendy pieces more current for the crafty-inclined, such as removing dated embellishments, updating little details (like buttons) or altering denim to keep up with styles. But remember that you're not going to get a whole lot of money per piece, so don't spend any money on updates!
And, finally, take any pieces that you and PC don't want to Goodwill, the Salvation Army or DAV so those items can be used by someone else and don't end up in the trash.

Happy Selling!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Megan, so lovely to find your blog and receive your comment on the patchwork page of my blog :) I'm not aware that we have a Plato's Closet type shop over here in the UK but it sounds like a great idea! I couldn't find a google friend connect way of following your blog so I will subscribe by email. Looking forward to your future posts. Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I just loved your blog. Especially the trading method and on spot cash option is so lurking to me. I was already looking for something like this to sell clothes online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete